Subject: Re: robinsons. non subscribed.questions
From: Darryl Lewis <[email-masked]>
To: John Bintz <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 1996 13:18:29 +1000 (EST)

> 2.  Unisys, owners of the LZW compression scheme, charge an arm and a leg 
> for licensing ($100 US up front!) even for shareware programs.  I have 
> not done this, as I need money for college.
> 
> GIF decoders are fairly easy to code if you have an example.  They're 
> also very easy to understand once you code it.  But they're very 
> expensive to use.  (and slow!)

As far as I'm aware, they dropped that requirement on GIF's when the iNet
community yelled blue murder at them.

Darryl
Australia
IMAGINE INFO   #####\             _             /#####    AMOS INFO
Amiga 2000     #( )# |          _( )__         | #( )#  AmosPro + Compiler
Amiga 3000T    ##### |         /_    /         | #####  APME (Get it!)
486DX2-66      #" "# |     ___m/I_ //_____     | #" "#  Turbo extension
Imagine 3.0    # O # |____#-x.\ /++m\ /.x-#____| # O #  3D extension
Intermediate   #m.m# |   /" \ ///###\\\ / "\   | #m.m#  BBS extension
               #####/    ######/     \######    \#####
             Profession- Disk Jockey/System Administrator
                http://www.dragonfire.net/~daz/home.htm